Thursday, February 13, 2020

September 6, 2015- US Open-Part 2
  
 I was only at a set and a half of a Tommy Haas match. He was playing against Verdasco who beat him in 5 sets. If I hadn’t watched a few games of Jelena Jankovic’s match, I would have seen some more of it. The court was so crowded that I had to stand.

   Mike came over to it after the Jankovic match which she lost. I didn’t see him until afterwards though. He got Verdasco’s autograph. I sort of wish that I had to but at the time I was mad that he beat my Haas.

   I had wanted to see Haas’ doubles match but I stayed with him for Errani. I wish that I had gone with the voice in my head that said to leave after the second set so I could at least see some of that. I ran over to that court afterwards but it was over.

   Luckily, they were still at the court signing autographs so at least I got to see him. Mike had already gotten that for me several years ago. I got a couple of nice photos of Haas.

    I wouldn’t even be into tennis if it wasn’t for Haas. I was depressed about Mom being in the hospital psych ward so I put the TV on to watch “The Price is Right” only it wasn’t on because the tennis coverage was.

    I saw 2 cute guys, Haas and Ginepri, which got me to keep this on. Then I was kind of getting interested in the actual sport that I used to think was boring. That was in 2006.

   Would I have watched it if they hadn’t been cute? Maybe not, which is so bad. Yikes, I am pretty embarrassed about this.

   I wish that I hadn’t been so afraid to go to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens for this event in 2007 and 2008. I would have gotten to see more of my favorite guys matches. I only got to see one Safin match which he lost against Melzer in 2009. He retired at the end of that year.

   I shouldn’t have been afraid to ask my brother to get his autograph for me after his practice session then. I was the same way about James Blake another year. Mike has gotten me at least 8 autographs of tennis stars.

   My brother has many more autographs of them than me. He even got Sania Mirza’s three times. And he calls me obsessive for getting John Taylor’s twice. He was at the Mirza/Hingis match then joined me for the Gasquet one.

   We saw Victoria Azarenka at an autograph signing booth. My brother sort of regrets not standing in line for this. We watched Djokovic on the practice court for a couple of minutes. As we were leaving the center on our 4th and final night there, we saw Federer at the ESPN booth doing an interview.

   The long, tiring days were well worth it. One year we went the first 6 days of it; I think that was 2010. The 6th day was a last minute decision. I really wanted to see Fish and Melzer in their 3rd round matches. I didn’t get to see all of Melzer’s though because the Fish one was very long.

   I didn’t like Melzer when he beat my Safin but the following year when Haas was out with an injury I was rooting for him a lot. I went to 3 of his singles matches and 2 of his doubles (with Petzschner) then.

   This was our last time ever at that event. We had gone there for 7 straight years. It is no longer in our budget. Mike said that he might try to save up and go to it again in a couple of years but I won’t be able to do that.
Tommy Haas

Hewitt

Feliciano Lopez

Tommy Robredo

Fernando Verdasco
 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...