Wednesday, February 12, 2020


September 6, 2015- US Open - Part 1

I was watching Mardy Fish playing tennis on a court near a beach; he was part of a charity event. Lots of kids were at it. I hadn’t even known that he was going to be there. Mom, Mike, and I were on a vacation. Our motel was near this court. When I looked out the window, I could see him. I just had to get closer so I walked over to that area. I was so happy to see him.

   I wish that I could remember more details about this dream. There might have been more tennis stars at this event. I think that we were in Florida. Or it could have just been the Jersey shore. Fish has only been in one other dream of mine and that was a long time ago. He was playing doubles at a tournament in a park.

   I actually got up enough nerve to get Mardy’s autograph at the US Open last week. At first, I asked Mike to do so for me as he has with other tennis stars in the past. Well, now we both have it. Mike seemed a little surprised that I had done this.

   I had tried getting his autograph in 2010 (or was it 2011?) but was unsuccessful. I am so embarrassed that I was yelling out “Mardy, please” at one moment during this attempt. He retired this year. I will miss seeing him play.

   My brother and I pretty much stuck together this year as we did last year. Other years we would go our separate ways and only get together for some matches.

   We were in Louis Armstrong Stadium for all of Wednesday. Fish vs. Lopez was first. I like them both but wanted Fish to win which he didn’t. The woman’s match, Mattek-Sands vs. Vanderweghe was next; the former won that.

   Nadal was on last. I can’t even remember his opponent whom he defeated. He is usually on Ash which isn’t included in the grounds pass so we have never seen him before. My brother said that he would have left if it went on any longer. I would have stayed by myself if he had; no way was I going to miss out on any of this.

   We saw two French guys, Simon and Gasquet. Simon lost to the American, Donald Young. We both got Young’s autograph, as well as that of Gasquet, who won his match. I like Gasquet’s style; he is fun to watch.

   I was upset when I saw a couple tiny water spots on the daily schedule magazine that he signed afterwards. Did I get something on it? Maybe it was Gasquet sweat. Did I make it worse when trying to dab it dry with a napkin?

   I didn’t get to see my Italian guys, Seppi and Fognini. We saw his two Italian girls, Vinci and Errani. They used to play doubles together; we saw them in a match once.


 
Mardy Fish


Fish- autograph

Richard Gasquet
 
 
Nadal

Ostapenko and Errani (right)

Donald Young
 
Simon
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...