Tuesday, February 25, 2020

September 19, 2015-More Friends- Part 2


   In high school I sometimes hung out with Mary and her friends at their table in the cafeteria. They were a year ahead of me. I think that she was a part of the Peer Club that would look after under classmates. They all seemed nice. I just wish that I hadn’t been so afraid to talk to them. I only did so a little.

   Mary invited me to her graduation party where I found out that she also had a crush on Don Mattingly. Someone gave her an 8x10 photo of him as a gift. It would have been good if I had gotten to know her and the other girls better.

   She is one of my Facebook friends as are some of my other former friends and classmates. I don’t really associate with any of them on that site though. I have sent them birthday wishes occasionally. I’m not that interested in social networking that way or even in person. I’m a very strange girl.

   A tiny part of me disagrees with this and was sort of hoping that I could make a connection with some of the girls that I’ve met at DD concerts and events. Of course, I don’t feel as if this could ever truly happen. I have done so a little bit with a couple of them but even this feels awkward to me.

   Tracey and I cut classes one afternoon to go down the shore – Asbury Park.  She borrowed her sister’s car, a Fiero, for this. That’s the only time that I’ve ever done something bad like that during my school days. I only got detention twice and the one time it was the whole class in high school. I can’t remember why this happened to me in the 5th grade.

   Tracey was a big Springsteen fan. I’m pretty sure she had a crush on him. We didn’t really hang out that much and it was mainly at school. She was nice; I wish that we could have had a closer friendship but I guess that my social anxiety was partially to blame for this.

   Julia and I went to the Westfield Theater to see The Manhattan Project but I don’t really remember anything about that movie. Mom took the 2 of us and Mike to Woodbridge Mall. Julia ran up the down escalator there. Mom bought her a nice pair of jeans that day.

   She rode her bike over to our house one day. We drove her home. I only remember being at her host families house once or twice; I think that it was in Roselle.

   We mostly only hung out together in school though and she seemed closer to a few other girls in our class. I am glad that we were friends and not just because I got the chance to go to Germany and stay with her family. I would have never been able to afford anything but what I had to pay for- the airline ticket and souvenirs-otherwise.

   My 2- 3 year friendship in the late 90s with Lynn was nice; it’s a shame that we drifted apart. We had sent holiday cards to each other for a few years after that. We had a lot of fun going to garage sales and flea markets.  We sometimes did arts and crafts like decoupage. She liked stuffed animals and stickers too.  I gave her my small Friend Care Bear.

   We went to the Flemington Outlet Center with a couple of friends of hers. Matt and I went to her birthday party. I gave her a Gund brand doggie which she loved. She had a pet ferret but I don’t remember its name.

    Gina and Roy were our family friends. They used to live somewhere in North Jersey before moving to a house across the street from us.

   Our parents went with them to a mall in that area one day in 1976. That is when they bought our Shetland sheepdog pup Rusty from a pet store there. They had an adorable doggie named Barky. I am pretty sure that it was part Border collie.

 Mom said that Roy and Gina saw Grease in the movie theater at least 10 times. I liked the big scrapbook of 8x10s of stars that they had in the attic room of their nice house. I wish that I could remember who was in this book. In the early 90s, Mike and I started collecting photos of our favorite stars too.

  Roy and Dad worked in GM. They used to drive there together. Early one morning (it was still dark), Roy was hit and killed by a car when crossing the street to get to our apartment. This was very upsetting. That was in 1980 or 1981, I think.

     

 
 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...