Friday, February 28, 2020


September 29, 2015- Duran Duran and NYC

I had set my alarm for 4 a.m. yesterday but I shut it off and went back to bed. I pretty much gave up on my plan to go into the city to find out about the DD wristband situation. It more than likely would have been a wasted trip anyhow. That ship has sailed already. I wish that I could have been on it to meet Captain Le Bon and his crew.

   I am trying to tell myself that meeting the DD guys was just not meant to be but it is very hard to do that because it is my big dummy’s side who prevented me from going to that store a couple of times when there would have been a chance for me to get a wristband.

   I can’t believe that I had actually thought about going to see Duran Duran at that FOLD festival on Long Island. I had researched the public transportation for it but then my rational side said that I better not dig into my auto repair fund to pay for this adventure. My bad side is wishing that I had done so.

   They had shown a bit of this event during that “CBS Sunday Morning’ show. I think that I saw one girl going bonkers because she got to hug one of the band members but I forget which one. Maybe I am even wrong about this; could be a false memory.

 

After NYC

I told Amy about the Duran Duran autograph signing. She called the store for me to find out about the wristband situation. They still had some left. I was too afraid and ashamed to make this call myself. It seems ridiculous that we were doing this during a therapy session.

   The John Taylor autograph signing topic was brought up by her. She said that I seemed to do okay with that. I said that I must have been braver a few years ago.

   I went to Linden station right after this. I got a little lost when trying to find the store. I saw a lady with a Century 21 bag so I got up enough courage to ask her where this place was. I wasn’t that far from it.

  The inside of the store was so confusing to me; it felt like my head was spinning trying to find the way to get to the lower level.  The elevators seemed to be for employees only. I finally asked an employee who directed me to the right one then I had to take an escalator.

   I made up a story about how I was getting this CD for a friend from P.A. so she could go to the signing. I was still feeling embarrassed to be doing such a thing. I said that I am mostly into country music and asked him if they had any. He said that there is a small selection of it.

   They had the new Luke Bryan one and it was only $9.99 but I really want the Target edition with the 3 extra songs on it.

   I was too exhausted to even look around the store. I did check out a small display of jewelry quickly but didn’t really see anything that I liked.

   I was just glad to get back to Penn Station. I wound up getting on the wrong train though so I had to get off at Newark station and wait for the right one.

   I hadn’t been in that city since 2007 for the Bon Jovi concert. It was sort of cool but odd when I heard one of their songs, “Make a Memory” playing in that station.

   I had to drive home in the pouring rain for a few minutes. This was very scary. I was praying that I would not get into an accident.

   I wasn’t going to tell my brother where I had been. I had told him that I was going to the library after my appointment. I decided to reveal the truth after all. He definitely must think that I am totally obsessed with Duran Duran now.

   I won’t believe that I am truly meeting them until they are actually in front of me though. I just hope that nothing goes wrong that will spoil this awesome occasion for me.

   I should have asked where in this store that the event is taking place. That J&R Express area seems pretty small. They must have another spot for the signing. I guess that I will have to wait until next Wednesday to find out.

   I hope that I don’t get lost again trying to find this store. How early should I get there? It starts at 6:00 so maybe 4:00 would be good. I am sure that some girls will arrive even earlier than that.

  I had thought about getting the DD CD and wristband for my brother but I was not certain that he would be interested. He has been listening to them a lot more than I have lately.

   I do sort of wish that he was coming with me. Well, part of me would be worried that he might say something that would embarrass me around the DD guys.

   I am sure that we will be herded through this process swiftly. I can’t imagine that they will want to be there for any more than a couple of hours. There are 400 people to get through, so maybe like 30-40 seconds for each of us.

    I am already nervous about meeting all of them. I probably won’t even say more than “Hello” and “Thank you”.

  I watched a video clip of a Simon and John interview about their pets. They both have Chihuahuas. Someone posted this on Tumblr. I wasn’t going to do another DD post there because I really didn’t want to see my photos of them but did one with 3 group shots.

   I didn’t get the chance to check a B&N in the city for that Classic Pop magazine with DD on the cover. Maybe I will just see if ours has it first. It is a British publication, I think, so they might not have it. An NYC store might be more likely to carry it.

   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...