Sunday, February 23, 2020


September 19, 2015- More Friends-Part 1

I seem to think about our childhood friends, acquaintances and classmates often, even in my dreams. I’m sure that they don’t think of us. Amy would just say “How do you know that?” They have/had other friends in their lives so we weren’t a significant part of it. I’m not doing the mind reading thing; I’m simply saying that this could be true. Mike agrees with me.

   Michelle G was a nice girl whom I was friends with for a few years but we weren’t that close which I’m wishing now that we could have been. I remember how much she loved Sesame Street’s Grover. She even had a Super Grover stuffed animal. The girls were telling scary stories like about the Hookman at her birthday/slumber party.

   She was in the Girl Scouts for a couple of years or maybe a little more. She accidentally dropped a meatball with sauce on me which messed up my white blouse at a covered dish supper in the gym of our grade school. We were actually laughing about that. Now something like this would make me very anxious and upset.  I wonder if she was jealous of Jen who had a lot of badges like I was.

   There were so many slugs on the sidewalk in front of Michelle’s house one day which totally creeped us out. Her mom drove me home once and thought that we lived in the entire apartment unit of 3. I had to explain to her the 4 types of apartments that are in our town. That was one floor. We are in a 2 floor, unit of 4 one now.

   I wish that she hadn’t switched schools in the 7th grade. We didn’t keep in touch after that. Or maybe we did via mail a couple of times. I do still have a letter of hers. I should read it and see when it’s from. I also have a picture of Hagar the Horrible that she drew for me.

   I was friends with my neighbor Trisha when I was a little girl. I don’t remember that much about her though. She has a younger brother. I have a few photos of her- at my birthday party and our town carnival. I’m pretty sure that we went to preschool together. They moved to a house in Roselle that I vaguely recall being at once or twice.

  Mike and I were friends with Christina and her sister Diane. Our moms were also good friends. We went to Christina’s birthday/pool party. Pin the Tail on the Donkey was played at it. We were kind of jealous that their parents had a station wagon with a back window that could open. We wished that Dad had gotten one like this too.

   Both of their parents died over the past 7 years. Christina was taking care of them. She has a cute beagle. It is so mean that her brother kicked her out of the house so that he can move in there. She stopped by a few years ago and told us about this. We hadn’t seen her in a long time. It was nice to hear that she has good memories of our friendship. So there is one friend that has thought of us.

   I could have been friends with Carol S but I blew that by blabbing a secret that she had told me to the popular girls on the bus ride home from our Scout trip to DC in 1981. She had stolen a t shirt from a souvenir place. Did I actually think that by doing this that they would accept me into their clique? There was no chance of that ever happening. I was still that nerdy girl to them and I lost out on having a friend. Carol was so upset with me. I felt horrible about this.

 

 


Trisha and Me

 

Note- Super Grover and the game are internet photos.
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...