Thursday, February 27, 2020

Dreamtime-

May 1, 2009- Two Parties

My family and I were at a party at the big, fancy home of one of my Aunt Ann’s friends, Barbara (fictional). Approximately 70 people were here. I was a little anxious. Mom was chatting with her niece, Fran. Dad was having a conversation with Uncle Joe.

   I was mostly hanging out with my brother and cousin Missy. I did go over to my aunt for a bit. She was talking to her daughter Donna about mystery novels. I sort of wanted to join in on this conversation but wasn’t feeling comfortable enough to do so, probably partially due to my low self-esteem.

   Barbara announced that there was a special guest arriving now. We were told to go into the living room where a piano was. Sitting at it was Elton John. I was happy about this. He performed “Sad Songs” and “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues”. He would be doing a few more songs later.

   I suddenly felt very tired. I asked if I could go to one of the bedrooms to take a nap. Barbara said that this would be fine.

    I was awoken from my sleep by the sound of 2 guys talking. When I opened my eyes, I saw that I was now in an entirely different setting. I was in the passenger seat of a car. The driver looked like David Hasselhoff. We were in the KITT car (Pontiac Trans-Am) from his show “Knight Rider”. He was talking to it.

   I didn’t really say anything to David/Michael Knight. I wondered where we might be going. No, I never did have a crush on this actor.

   We were driving through the countryside which was nice. I saw around a dozen balloons like the ones in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in a field; one was the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

   We arrived at our destination, a Victorian style home. I saw my mother’s car, the 1984 Buick Century, parked outside of it.

     This home turned out to be that of our friends, the Prescotts. Mrs. P asked Michael if he would stay for the party but he couldn’t because he had to go back to work.

   My parents and brother were in the backyard. Why hadn’t I just come there with them? It certainly was strange but interesting that a fictional character was part of this storyline.

   Mike and Jeff took a walk. I talked with Pam. Mom and Mrs. P were chatting about a Bradlees coworker of theirs. Billy Joel music was playing on the stereo.

    Dad and Mr. P had just made up over an argument that they had had at their workplace, General Motors. They put the burgers and hot dogs on the grill. I helped bring out some of the other food to the table.

   Mom had made her baked beans (she used to bring this to most barbecue parties that we went to), coleslaw, and potato salad. For dessert, there was cupcakes and Mom’s chocolate mayonnaise cake.

   Mike was talking about the trip to Austria that he was saving up for. The program ended shortly after that. I wished that I could have been at both parties for longer. I would have loved to have seen the rest of Elton John’s performance.


 
Our 1984 Buick Century



Mom's Pork and Beans recipe


Chocolate Mayonnaise cake
 
Note- the food, balloon, Elton John, and Billy Joel 8 track photos are from the internet.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...