Friday, March 6, 2020


October 12, 2015- Cute Doggies and Other Animals- Part 1

 I felt like crying when I saw a dead cat in the middle of the road when driving to the grocery store on Sunday. I remember when Mike, Kelly and I were walking home from school and saw a doggie that had been hit by a car. A man went out into the street to help it and told us that we should go home. I hope that the poor doggie was alright but I have this bad feeling that it wasn’t.

  I get so emotional about animals. They are also in the highlight reels of my mind from trips that I have taken. There was this adorable little calf at the Farmer’s Museum in Cooperstown, N.Y. that I was petting. She got some snot on my light blue pants. I have a picture of her and me. I barely remember anything else about that place or the Baseball Hall of Fame.

  We have pictures of me on a pony and petting a deer at the Turtleback Zoo in 1974. I wish that I could remember this. I pet goats at Hershey Park in 1975 and at a farm that had a corn maze that Matt and I went through in 2000.

  On a Girl Scout trip to the Bronx Zoo in 1980, I rode a camel and saw raccoons and otters. We went to The National Zoo in Washington D.C. and saw the pandas and I’m pretty sure otters too. I definitely saw them there in 1997 and even took photos.

   My troopmates and I went horseback riding during a trip to Virginia in 1982. That the only time that I’ve ever done so and probably would be too afraid to try it again.

  Mike and I liked feeding the ducks in Rahway Park when we were little kids. Helen J. bought a bunny rabbit over to our house one day and we were petting that. I held a baby bunny at the vet’s office a few years ago. It was so adorable.

  We buried a dead bird in our yard in the mid-1970s. A baby blue jay went under Mr. C’s deck about 10 years ago. I should have tried rescuing it or asked someone to help me do so. The mommie was looking for it. It must’ve been so scared and lonely. I know how it feels. I feel so guilty about this. Mr. C’s cat probably ate it or it just died of starvation.

  Mike rescued a baby groundhog from the middle of the road. We tried taking it to the woods near our house but it kept trying to cross the street. We took it to our house and kept it overnight. I didn’t think of taking it to the emergency vet place and was waiting until Monday morning to bring it to our vet.

  We didn’t even know that it was a groundhog at first. Mike was calling it a hedgehog but I don’t think that we have those in the U.S.  I thought that it was a guinea pig. I was saying that if it’s a girl I’d call it Molly and if it’s a boy it’s Simon.

  Our vet’s office only takes cats and dogs so we had to bring it to the one in Clark. The lady there said that they could call a wildlife rehabilitation place that would take care of it. The poor thing was dehydrated. It wouldn’t drink the water that we put in a dish for it. I called them a couple of hours later to check up on it. She said “He’s doing fine”.  Yeah!  Simon was okay. We found out it was a groundhog from them.
Calf- Farmer's Museum 1987


Turtleback Zoo 1974

Rahway Park 1972


Hershey Park 1975
Raccoons-1980

Bronx Zoo 1980- otter

D.C.-National Zoo 1997
Simon the baby groundhog
 
Note- last photo is from the internet- I wish that I had thought to take a picture of the baby groundhog!

 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...