Friday, March 20, 2020


December 23, 2015- Florida Vacations

I am watching a show on ID Network tonight. The setting for this is in Florida which made me think of our 2 trips there- 1976 and 1983. Disney World was fun; our favorite ride was The Pirates of the Caribbean.

   Some other cool things in Disney World were 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, GE Carousel of Progress, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Country Bear Jamboree, the Monorail and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

   We never did go on Space Mountain; even Grandma next door did so when she was in Disneyland; she said that her wig nearly fell off.

   We also went to Sea World, Circus World, and a Hollywood Wax Museum in 1976. I did get sick and throw up in Sea World though, but I loved seeing the dolphins there. Dad got stung by a bee during the train ride in the Magic Kingdom. As always, those 2 bad things are much clearer in my memory. We stayed in the same motel both times.

   We liked EPCOT Center which I think had only been open for about a year when we went there in 1983. I hadn’t realized until then that the Magic Kingdom only opened in the early 70s so the park was still relatively young when we first went there.

   We enjoyed the Land, GM- World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy and the countries in the World Showcase, esp. Italy, Germany and England. It rained a little that day; we have a nice picture of us with a rainbow in the background afterwards. We both got piƱatas in Mexico.

  I’m remembering vividly something upsetting about that 2nd vacation. Dad did spoil it at one point when he got mad at Mom for wanting to go back for some more souvenirs in the Magic Kingdom. I can’t remember if he got his way or not- probably. In fact, I’m almost sure that he did.

   That year we went to Silver Springs (Glass bottom boat ride) and the Gatorland Zoo before visiting our Aunt Pauline and family in Panama City. I’ve only ever seen her 3 times. I almost stepped on a crab on the beach. We have a jar of white sand from there.

   At the Jersey shore, I nearly stepped on a horseshoe crab. There was one of these in our yard when we were kids. Mom’s friend Helen J painted flowers and Happy Mother’s Day on its shell. Mike and I were so frightened by it. Dad took it to the river near our town.
 
1976





Sea World

Wax Museum- Doctor Zhivago
 
1983












Horseshoe crab
 
Note- last photo is from the internet
 
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...