Thursday, March 5, 2020

Dreamtime-

September 24, 2008- DD Autograph Signing

I was at Target one moment looking for my mocha frap and the next at a mall in the holodeck.  This mall was like a combination of Woodbridge and Quakerbridge, 2 of my favourites.  I saw a small crowd gathered outside of a music/book store and wondered what was going on there. As I got closer, I saw a sign that said that Duran Duran was going to be at this place for a few hours doing an autograph signing.

   Part of me wanted to go on the line for this event but I was feeling a little anxious even though they wouldn’t even be the real DD guys. It is nice that it wasn’t a mob scene. The reason for this is because Sam knows how much I hate big crowds so he made it a smaller one.

   I walked around the mall for a bit before going back to that store. I was just there to observe the other fans interacting with that group, to look at the special DD merchandise and also at them too. I saw books and pictures that I’d like to have but I couldn’t make up my mind what to get.

   I was having thoughts of just wanting to back out of this. The line was shorter now but I was still too scared to get on it. Did I really need their autographs? Would Sam even let me keep them for my scrapbook in the real world?

     I felt sort of weird being there, like I didn’t belong with these fans. I do like DD, but not as devotedly as some of these girls. I overheard some of the things that they were saying about them. The one girl said that her walls were practically all covered with posters of them when she was a teenager. I wasn’t even into them back then.

  An employee announced that Simon was taking a short break. I was feeling like I couldn’t breathe, esp. when looking at John. It’s so ridiculous that that man makes me feel so nervous. I needed to get out of that mall for a few minutes.

   While I was outside, I saw Simon talking to one of the security guards. I hadn’t even realized that it was him until I walked closer to them. If I had known this, I probably wouldn’t have gone in that direction. Maybe it’s a good thing that I had though, because suddenly my fear of getting their autographs disappeared.

   I went back to the store, bought a few pictures and a book and then went onto that line.  I had wanted to spend even more but didn’t think it was wise to go overboard on the DD purchases.  I’ve done that enough in the real world. That was mostly my brother’s voice saying this in my head then.

   Nick and Roger were sitting at one table. I was surprised that I wasn’t even nervous at all when talking to Roger. But I was already feeling anxious about going over to the Simon/John table. I felt ashamed to even be looking at John. 

     I was trying to tell myself not to be so afraid. I also was thinking that I’m sure that I will do okay talking to him. Just as I was getting closer to him, the scene started to change. He was fading away and now I was seeing the bottles of Mocha Frappuccino on the shelves of Target in front of me.

   Darn, just when I was finally feeling more brave and positive, I was sent back to reality and never had the chance to get Simon and John’s autographs. I did actually still have those of Nick and Roger. I’m surprised that I was allowed to bring something back to reality- that hardly ever happens.

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...