Tuesday, March 31, 2020


February 28, 2015- Our Town- Part 1

The Store

 We lived only a couple blocks from the convenience store (the only one in our town) at our old apartment. Our Aunt Joan lived right near it but she would usually ask Mike and me to go there for her. She sometimes would give us a quarter each for doing so.

   We probably got her cigarettes occasionally like we did for Dad. I was doing this even when I was as young as 9 years old. His brand was Kool and hers was Parliament 100s. They sold liquor there too.

   Mike, Cindy, Jessica and I got yelled at by the owner Lou once because we were sitting on the floor counting our money out before buying our candy. What a grouchy guy he was. They had to rebuild the place after a fire but I forget what year that was- early 1980s?

   The owners after him, Dave and Valerie, were very nice. One of mom’s friends, Betty, worked there. They catered our town’s 50th Anniversary celebration in 1992. By the mid-1990s they sold the business which is a shame. We didn’t go there much after that.

   It went out of business sometime in 2014. A bakery/deli is supposed to open there soon. Mom told Mike and me that our town used to have a small Shop Rite. I should ask her when that closed down.

  

The Carnival

My favorite rides at our town carnival were the Scrambler, The Tilt-A-Whirl and the Octopus. There was one called the Bullet but Mike and I never went on that; it looked too scary to me. They used to have pony rides there when we were kids. I don’t think that we ever went on one though. I’d have to ask mom.

  The money raised at this event helped the fire department and ambulance squad. It was always held around the time of Mom’s birthday, July 30th. We played the 50/50 sometimes but never won that and we weren’t that lucky at the games either. I did win a unicorn picture once.

   The food there was good.  Mom and Mike love the barbecued ribs. Mike likes the zeppoles also. After the early 90s the variety to choose from was lessened which was disappointing.
1972

Mid-1980s

The Octopus


The Bullet

 
Note- last 4 photos are from the internet
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...