Sunday, January 26, 2020


June 16 2015- DD Church Concert

   I was at a Duran Duran concert at my former church. Some of my classmates from that grade school were there too. I was sitting next to a couple of them, Michelle T and Jamie. We were in the seventh pew.

   The first song that they performed was “Planet Earth” They looked about 10 years younger. Our appearance was younger too- early 30s. I haven’t seen any of my classmates in a very long time, some since the 1980s. Three of them are my Facebook friends now.

   In between some of the songs, the DD guys were talking to people in the audience. I was sitting at the end of the pew, towards the left. Simon was talking to me for a bit and even handed me a note but I didn’t look at it. I put it in my purse.

   Partway during the show, their outfits magically changed. No one seemed to think that this was odd. John was now wearing a red top and black leather pants.  His hair was at is was in around 1983. They also looked younger, about mid-30s. They stayed like this for just one song, “Rio”, then went back to as they had been before.

  After this, John was talking to a girl in the 5th pew. I was looking at him and he seemed to be smiling at me. I was kind of embarrassed that he had seen me staring at him. I did smile back though.

   The church wasn’t even that full and some pews only had 4 or 5 people in them. It seemed as if there were approximately 200 people at this event. It was strange that there were still spaces in the pews in front of me.

    We were told that we could move up at one point. Why had they waited until like after the 5th song to let us do this? And why had people chosen to sit further back? Unless maybe they had been told to do so.

     Michelle and I went up to the 5th pew. I wasn’t sure if this was general admission or assigned seats- well, pews in this case. I had just popped up in this holodeck program a minute before the show began.

   Things got even weirder when during one of the new songs, we were told by Simon to get up and form a conga line. I did not feel like doing this. Some people did and were going around the perimeter of the church one time. Simon was leading this and John was also a part of it.

   Music from the danceable song was still being played by the rest of the band. I was just glad when everybody sat down again and the concert went back to normal.

   They performed a total of 14 songs; 3 were off of a new album and one was a cover version of the Police song “Walking on the Moon”. I was kind of disappointed that they hadn’t done their own moon song, “New Moon on Monday”, instead.

   There was no Encore. They just walked down the center aisle and out of the church after they did their last song, “Save a Prayer”. Jamie said that she wished that they had done a few more of their hits. I sort of did too.

   It was just about to start turning dark once I was outside. I was walking home. My alien friend Sam had telepathically told me that I had to do so and also that I lived at my old apartment.  Our church/grade school isn’t that far from my house. The program ended a few minutes later.

   I had noticed that some people were dressed in 80s type outfits but these were teens and those in their early 20s. I saw a photo booth in the parking lot and a few of these girls went into it. That was bizarre.

    I was hoping to see the DD guys out there too but didn’t. It had been an unusual but good show. I wonder what Simon’s note had said.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...