Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Music, Stuffed Animals, and Writing- Part 1


I used to enjoy writing poems and short stories when I was younger. They weren’t that good but it was fun. A few of the stories have my stuffed animal friends and famous people like Frank Perdue and Chef Martin Yan as characters.

   Poochie Weiner (bear), Seamore Otter, and Cinnamon Koala were the ones that were always in them. I still have them and some others in a storage tote. I wish that I had kept most of these.

   Those 3 animals also had their own radio station- WPW; I had such a weird imagination and still sort of do.

   I didn’t have that many records but I used them, a couple of my Dad’s classical music tapes and some 8 tracks for that. We had this big stereo- I can see it in my head but just can’t describe it well- AM-FM, record, and 8 track players.

    I remember every 8 track that we had- The Village People, Engelbert Humperdinck (Grandma next door said that he’s good looking and she saw him in concert), Shenandoah and Oklahoma soundtracks, K-tel- Soundwaves (from Cindy), Doris Day’s Greatest Hits, Dolly Parton- Heartbreaker, one with CB related songs (from Ed), 2 Christmas Compilations and John Denver and the Muppets Christmas.

    Dad put an 8 track player in our Chevy Malibu wagon. I remember that time when we were pulling out of the Bradlees parking lot in the early 80s and the back door opened and I nearly fell out of the car. This was such a scary experience which naturally is so vivid in my mind. Why can’t the good times be this way too?

    I only had about ten 45s in the 1980s- “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me”, ” Hungry Like the Wolf”, “Gloria”,” Mickey”,” Down Under”, “Shadows of the Night”,” Africa”,” Goody Two Shoes”, ” On The Wings of Love”,  and ” True”.

   I got some other 45s in the early 90s at flea markets. I eventually got rid of many of them and my other records. I’m glad that I kept most of the DD stuff; the” Rio” and” HLTW” 45s got damaged by the heat when I was trying to sell them at flea markets.







 

 
                                                                  
                                                            Our 1976 Chevy Malibu

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...