Sunday, December 15, 2019

December 1, 2015- Christmas Memories-Part 3

    Mom let us decorate the tree after she put the lights and garland on it. We had a star for the top of it up until about 1983 then got an angel. In the 70s, Dad would put his Lionel train set under the tree. It made noises and I think that steam came out of it too. Mike wants to inherit this from him so badly.

    I would put my Fisher price and other little people and animals on this train. I would also have them visit the baby Jesus at the manger. I’m glad that we still have that nativity set; it’s a really nice one.

   I wish that we had every decoration from my childhood.  Sharon feels the same way; I told her that if I had magical powers I’d bring all of ours back. She liked that fantasy.

Mike got a DVD with several of the holiday specials on it last year or the one before this; we still haven’t watched it. “Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol” is on it. I haven’t seen that and others in many years. We still need to buy the Peanuts one.

   I have the video tape of” Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas” which is also still unwatched. I loved that and 2 other Muppet ones- A Christmas Carol and their special with John Denver.

    He likes” Frosty the Snowman” and” How the Grinch Stole Christmas” but I’m not overly fond of them. They and” Santa Claus is Coming to Town” are okay, I suppose. Mom loves “The Little Drummer Boy” as do I. I never liked” Rudolph’s Shiny New Year”.

   I can take watching White Christmas with them but I really don’t want to sit through It’s A Wonderful Life again. The last time I did so was 4 years ago.

   I remember there being a” Fat Albert” special too which Mike and I liked a lot. We watched” The Smurfs” one too but I can’t remember much about that.

   I feel sort of bad for thinking that Christmas just feels like any other day. Yikes, I’m starting to sound like my grandma next door. It’s sometimes hard to believe that I used to like it so much.

  My nice holiday memories often don’t feel as if they are real and are more like I’m remembering scenes from a movie or show about some other girl. I wish that I didn’t feel that way about this and many other happy memories.
 
                                             


 
1985
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Decorations that we no longer have
 
                                                                           
                                                             
 
 
                                          



1969-my first Christmas







 
 

2 comments:

themeganb32@gmail.com said...

sorry that your Christmases are not as magical anymore.is it because christmas starts in october or beceuase its all about getting that wall sized TV cheap versus it being about being with loved ones?

LaraAnn said...

It's a combination of all these factors, I suppose. A part of me will always still treasure my childhood memories of this holiday though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...