Friday, December 13, 2019

December 1, 2015- Christmas Memories- Part 2


   I played a shepherd in the school play either in 2nd or 3rd grade; we still have part of that costume that mom made me. Mike, Missy and I sang Christmas songs for our family at Aunt Ann’s house in 1980. Cindy, Jessica, Mike and I did this for our families at our house. Cindy played the guitar. I wish that I hadn’t given up on my guitar lessons after only 7 or 8 of them. The teacher said that I had potential.

Mike, Barbara, her 2 sisters and brother went caroling in their neighborhood one night in the late 70s; that’s the only time I’ve ever done this. I love Christmas carols.  I saw the Radio City Christmas Spectacular with my Girl Scout troop in 1980. I still have the souvenir magazine from that in my scrapbook.

    We made a wreath our of plastic sandwich baggies, a wire coat hanger, red bows and I think pine cones too as a Scout project.  I forget when we threw that out; I think that it’s in the background of one of our holiday photos. We have a nice wreath that mom made in the early 80s – it’s green yarn brushed out somehow on a wire type frame with red ball ornaments and a bow.

    She made a cool, big Santa picture with the Tri-Chem paint back then too. That is definitely in one of our photos.  I wish that we had kept that and my wreath.  She made a set of Santa curtains for the kitchen in the 1970s also.

 When I was a Brownie there was a sleepover in our school gym/auditorium. I’m pretty sure that we put on a holiday play too; I have this vague memory of dressing up as a reindeer. We put our shoe out in the hallway for Santa to put a present in. I couldn’t remember which country’s tradition this is so I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said France. I was thinking maybe it was Holland.

    I was thinking about the Life Savers Sweet Story Books that we would get Dad for his stocking. Old Spice was another standard gift for him and for mom it was Charlie perfume. Cindy gave me Estee Lauder- Beautiful once and from mom it was Forever Krystal perfume when I was in my “Dynasty” loving phase for a few years in the mid-80s.

     I wish that I had kept the cute Avon silver fawn perfume bottle that had Sweet Honesty in it. That present was from Aunt Karen.  She always gave me such nice gifts like Tinkerbell cosmetics, a silver ice skate pendant necklace, a Beatrix Potter book that came with a little hedgehog and a set of 3 Ronald Dahl books; Fantastic Mr. Fox was my favorite.

    I do have the Avon cocker spaniel  perfume bottle that a friend of the family got me from a flea market in the early 2000s; it looks like it’s from the mid-70s- early 80s. I keep meaning to check the box to see if a year is on it. I just remembered another Avon bottle that I had – the giraffe.

    We haven’t used our Advent calendar since the early 90s. Mom got one from Avon in the mid-80s that has a mouse to move from one day to the next. We might still have one of the religious ones which were the only kind that we would get before that. We had a round glass holder for the candles; I’d have to check the holiday totes to see if we kept that and a few other things too, like our snow globe.

   One year Mom bought us a small tree for our basement living room only when we opened up the box there were 4 of them in it which was funny. We were honest and returned the other 3 to the store.


           
                          


 

Tri-Chem Santa

                                                                  Advent Calendar
 
 
                                                             Advent Candles and holder

   
 
 





                                         
 




 

 
Note- perfume photos (except for cocker spaniel) and Lifesavers storybook are from the internet.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...