Saturday, July 2, 2011

Books About The 1980s



I ordered both of these books from the amazon.com site a couple of years ago. I first saw the Totally Awesome 80's one at a bookstore back in the mid 1990s and kind of regretted not getting it then. My library actually had The Best of Smash Hits and a few weeks after I took this out I decided to look into purchasing it. I never did buy that magazine back in the 1980s but I did get some issues of it from ebay shortly after getting this book. I guess that I was making up for the fact that I was never like my classmates going ga-ga over Duran Duran and other performers back then. I was too busy studying and reading to care about teen idols, MTV and all that. It's kind of embarrassing that I didn't go through my boy crazy phase until my mid 30's. I did have little crushes on Tom Selleck and the baseball player Don Mattingly but it seemed tame compared to how crazy the girls were going over guys like Rick Springfield and all those other idols that were in Tiger Beat and those other teenie-bopper mags.

3 comments:

Lazlo said...

I have that "Totally awesome '80s" one, with Annie Lennox on the cover.

If you like '80s-oriented books, I recommend "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran" by Rob Sheffield. Its his memoir about growing up as a teen in the '80s. Every chapter is named after a song from the '80s, including a lot of New Wave, and the book is full of Sheffield's commentary about different aspects of '80s culture.

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Girls-About-Duran-Haircut/dp/0525951563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309637275&sr=1-1

A similar book, but more oriented toward Heavy Metal, is "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman. Its about growing up a metalhead in '80s Fargo, North Dakota.

http://www.amazon.com/Fargo-Rock-City-Odyssey-Dakota/dp/B003MAJPW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309637769&sr=1-1-spell

Pam said...

These books look like they'd be a lot of fun to go through.

It's OK - I'm 39 and just hitting my "boy crazy" phase...on real-life guys.

LaraAnn said...

lazlo1988 - that book by Sheffield does sound pretty interesting - I will have to add it to my wish list. Thanks for the suggestions. I did see a few other cool books at amazon about the 80's like one on toys and games.

Pam- I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is going through such a phase nowadays. It has faded alot for both stars and real guys lately though probably because of my recent bad experiences with that boyfriend. I hope that we are both able to find some nice gentlemen out there soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...