Monday, April 12, 2010

Free Tickets

Bon Jovi added a fourth show to Giants Stadium. It was so tempting to go back into credit card debt for this but I have to be a good girl. If the state government were still giving the homestead rebate checks I would be able to afford this. I don't even want to get into how angry I am about that.

WPLJ is giving away free tickets to that show today but I really don't feel like trying for this. I get so anxious making phone calls plus I would have a better chance of being struck by lightning than winning anyhow. I wasn't always this afraid to make such a call though and did come very close to winning tickets to events.

The first time was back in the early 90s when they were giving away tickets to the Goldeneye Premiere in NYC. I was the right number caller and thought for sure that I knew the answer to the trivia question. I had just read an article about the Bond films in the paper that morning. Part of me was thinking that I should recheck this while I was waiting but my bossy idiot side wouldn't let me and of course I wound up giving the wrong answer. I have such a craptastic memory too. I never did see the first half hour of Goldfinger but even if I had I probably would've forgotten. So much for getting to see Pierce Brosnan and other stars in person.

I tried winning Bon Jovi tickets one day a few years ago but did not hear that there was also a trivia question that had to be answered until I was on the phone. The girl asked me what was the name of the character that Jon played on Sex and the City, or was it Ally McBeal? Whatever- I had no idea. I don't watch either show and not even him being a guest star made me interested in seeing them. It just figures- I'm finally the right number caller but there just had to be a question along with this.

I can't remember if it was 2005 or 2006 that I tried to win Bon Jovi tickets for the concert that was going to be on December 21, the date of my birth. That would have been a nice present. I actually got to talk to the dj and my request was on the air. I was a nervous wreck and sounded like such a doofus. I requested Invisible Touch by Genesis. Naturally I did not win the All Request Lunch Hour contest either. I'm not lucky at anything.

I was one away from winning Hall and Oates tickets once. I didn't even try to call for Duran Duran ones the time that you had to name all the members of the group in alphabetical order. I'm sure that the devoted fans can easily do this. I was sitting there writing the names down and by the time I finished someone had probably already won. Another time the dj played clips of 5 of their songs and you had to say the names twice. I knew them but was driving at the time and didn't have a cell phone so I wouldn't even have been able to pull over to the side of the road to call.

I only ever tried 5 or 6 times to win DD tickets, it was many more than that for Bon Jovi. Guess that I wasn't as scared then. My cousin Mary was lucky and won tickets to a country music concert with a few performers including Travis Tritt and Billy Ray Cyrus. She was in the second row. I went through a country music phase in the 90s. I liked Travis back then so I was a little jealous.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...