Friday, May 8, 2020


June 16, 2016- Howard Jones Day

I didn’t think that I had won the fan pass for the Howard Jones mini concert on the Plaza because I hadn’t received an email about this by Saturday. When I checked on Monday- or was it Tuesday- I saw that in there.

   Part of me was happy but then the fearful and anxious side was thinking that maybe it would not be such a good idea to go to this event. I was debating on it up until the very morning of it. I am glad that I didn’t wimp out on this.

   I had a good time despite having to stand in the rain for like 2 hours including the sound check. Luckily, it cleared up before his performance. He did “Things Can Only Get Better” and “No One Is To Blame”.

   The fans wanted him to perform a third song- “New Song”. He came over to us and sang a little of this which was cool.

   I can’t remember if he did a bit of another song as part of a promo (or whatever that is called) as Duran Duran did with “Notorious”. It might have been “Like to Get to Know You Well”.

   The producer- or whatever Alex’s job title is- told the crowd (it was relatively small) to move over to the other area if you wanted to watch the hosts do a segment on funny dads. The devoted Howard Jones fans stayed near the stage.

   I wasn’t really interested in seeing that segment plus I didn’t want to lose my good spot. I had started out in like a 5th row but wound up in a 2nd one. Some people had left entirely and others went to the other area temporarily.

   I was so tired after this experience. It had seemed pretty surreal, actually. I had overheard one girl saying that Howard had done a concert in Central Park on Monday night. I wish that I had known about this. I would have liked to have been at that.

   It is not as if I am a devoted fan of his like she is. I do like his music and seem to have been getting into it more lately. I had never even seen any of his videos until like the last couple of months. I’ve watched four of them including “Lift Me Up” which I saw 4 times in the past 10 days.

   I had thought about bringing one of his 45s with me with hopes of him signing this for me but part of me said not to bother because it is highly doubtful that this would ever happen. Well, the girl in front of me had an album with her that he did sign. She even got on camera with that.

    I probably would have been too scared to even ask him if he would sign my album too anyhow. I still am regretting not having this with me though. Maybe I would have gotten brave but that is highly unlikely.    

   I had Duran Duran on my brain even at this event. I was flashing back to being at their performance in the Plaza in September. Naturally, I wished that I had been close to them as I was this time for Mr. Jones.

   Someone said that he was going to be on “Fallon” that night but I don’t really watch the late night talk shows except when DD is on them. I should have done so for him too.

   I sort of wish that I had gone to Luke Bryan’s “Today” show performance too even though I didn’t have a fan pass. I would have been in the back of the crowd and probably wouldn’t have seen him much or even at all. It was raining that day also.

   I was not feeling up to doing anything else in the city after the show. I did go to the Magnolia Bakery to get my brother a magic cookie bar. I didn’t see any of these out so I bought him a red velvet cupcake and chocolate chunk cookie instead.

   My HJ fan pass got messed up by the rain. I thought that I had been careful when putting it in my waterproof tote bag. I had even put it inside of another bag inside of this. Luckily, the part of it with his photo and details about the event are alright. Even this damage is unacceptable to me though.

   I never did tell Amy which fan pass that I had entered to win. She will be finding out next Tuesday when I tell her about my experience.





 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...