Tuesday, May 19, 2020


July 21, 2016- Duran Duran at the Apollo- July 19
I was so lucky that I got a seat in the 3rd row orchestra section. I didn’t even have to pay that extra fan club fee. The price was high enough as is without it. My seat was the furthest one to the left though. My view of Roger’s drum kit was partially blocked.
   John must have been on that mini keyboard thing during “Last Night in the City” as he’s been at the other shows but I couldn’t even see that at all. Kiesza was performing with them during this song.
   A girl who had been at the album signing recognized me. I thought that she did look familiar. We were talking to each other outside of theater, mostly about music and concerts. She mentioned that she had been to the Def Leppard concert at the PNC Center this summer. I told her that my brother and I saw them in 2005.
   It turns out that she was in the row behind me, two seat over. I was a little jealous that she had a better view than me. I should have asked what her name is and found out if she’s on Facebook. It would have been nice to keep in touch with her that way. Not that I have really contact my Duran Duran buddies on there, except for Jenny around certain concert times.
   I was also talking to a very nice employee. I had thought that Chic was going to be the opening act but he told me that they weren’t. He likes them too.
  Tokimonsta, a girl DJ, was the opener. She mistakenly said that Chic would be there. The show had started at 8 p.m. so there couldn’t be 2 opening acts.
   The theater is beautiful and also small. I am pretty sure that Simon said that 1,800 people were there. I don’t recall exactly what John said about this place; it might have been something like they were happy and honored to be performing there.
   Unfortunately, I don’t remember much about the show.  I read other fans’ posts about their concert experiences and they always include lots of details- usually good- about them. I wish that my brain could hold onto such things too. 
   I do recall some insignificant stuff like John shaking a few girl’s hands. He also handing a couple of them his water bottles, I think. The front row fans ran right up to the stage shortly before the show began.
   I am almost certain that the two people who had been in the seats in front of me did so too. That wasn’t right. Well, this gave me a clear view of John so I won’t complaining that much about this.
   I had arrived in the city earlier than I originally had planned on. I looked around Macy’s. I bought a Kiehl’s facial cleanser there. It is expensive. This better work for that price. I am getting so tired of wasting money on ineffective beauty products.
   I looked around some other stores in the Herald Square area too- H&M, Old Navy, and Urban Outfitters. The latter has records and portable turntables. I ate in McDonald’s inside of Macy’s and sat outside of that store for a little while too.
   I should have stayed in that part of town for longer. I got to Harlem way too soon. I did look around some stores to kill time but this was so boring. I got unsweetened iced tea at Barnes and Noble.
   My cab driver, Quinn, remember me from a previous time. That was probably after another Duran Duran show. I mentioned that I had been at the Apollo to see them. He seemed shocked and impressed that I had gone there alone. We talked about music. Did he say that Duran Duran is cool (or something like that) this time or the last? Perhaps both.

Confetti











Note- all of the concert photos are from the internet.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...