Tuesday, April 14, 2020

March 13, 2016- Additional Childhood Memories- Part 2


Later

Mike was doing more of his jealousy routine- Cindy this time. But then we were reminiscing about our friendship with her and Jessica for a couple of minutes. We feel bad that we never went to Jessica’s high school graduation party. I had forgotten that we had even been invited to it until I found a thank you card from her in my memento tote a couple of years ago. We had sent her a card with money in it.

   That was in 1990, so at the time I am almost certain that I was living with my Aunt Ann. Things between Mom and Dad weren’t good as they were going through the divorce. This must have been part of the reason why we didn’t attend her party.

   He was doing impressions of Cindy and Jessica’s grandparents a couple of times today. One was Mr. K saying “How about those Yankees?” He also reminded me of the time that Mrs. K was trying to teach me how to sweep the sidewalk properly and efficiently. Even after that I still wasn’t able to do that good of a job; it’s like my brain can’t learn even simple stuff sometimes. I’m sure that Amy would say something like “Don’t put yourself down”.

   Mike has been doing many of impersonations today. It’s better than hearing him complain, that’s for sure. He did an Uncle Joe one earlier then we talked a little about him. We were trying to remember what year that he built that big addition onto their ranch style home- 1986 or 1987?  It’s hard to believe that it’s been 23 years since he died from cancer.

   Of course, he was then also expressing his jealousies about our Cousin Donna and her husband.   Donna has her doctorate (library science) now. I haven’t seen her since Uncle Joe’s funeral. Mom and Mike last saw her at Missy’s wedding which I didn’t go to in 1999.

   Afterwards, he moved onto some about Rob, who is actually our second cousin (Missy’s son) but Aunt Ann adopted him. He’s a welder and does some farming as well. He plays the guitar too. I haven’t seen him in about 11 years.

   Mike is talking a lot but I’m not that bothered by it today because I’m doing so too- not nearly as much as he is though. He’s like Grandma Next-Door’s one motor mouth friend Gladys. I still remember being upset one Sunday night because she was interrupting my enjoyment of “The Wonderful World of Disney” when I was a little girl.

   He mentioned “The Honeymooners”. I can’t believe that I forgot that this is also one of Dad’s favorite shows. He thought that he was the “King of the Castle” just like Ralph Kramden did. I’m pretty sure that this is one that character’s lines. We would watch it with him sometimes, Mike more so than me.

The Honeymooners


Note- both photos are from the internet.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...