Friday, March 19, 2010

Movies


I don't really go to the movies much anymore- I used to enjoy this especially when I was a kid. Back then I got to see many of them for free because my Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Al- well, he wasn't officially our Uncle but we thought of him as one- worked in theaters. For a couple of my birthday parties in the 70s he brought the movies to our house and showed them on a screen in the basement. We saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. One time he showed Young Frankenstein in our yard which was cool. Mom and Dad took us to his drive-in theater to see Jaws which was really scary to my brother and I. We jumped up out of our seats during the one scene when Roy Scheider first saw Jaws close up. I remember some of the other movies that we saw but not all of them. Mom said that we saw all the Disney ones. I mostly remember The Rescuers. We saw all three Muppet movies too. We always wondered why our parents didn't take us to see Star Wars- we did see The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Raiders of the Lost Ark, 9 to 5, The Incredible Shrinking Woman, On Golden Pond, The Four Seasons and Sheena are others that I recall. Amadeus was definitely the last movie that we saw for free. My father loves classical music so he liked that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...