Thursday, October 1, 2020

October 19, 2012- John Taylor Book Signings-Part 2

 

   I was feeling much more relaxed and happier at the signing in Ridgewood. I got there really early. I had cappuccino at Starbucks and intended on spending a couple of hours at the library after that but then I changed my plans and joined the small line that already had formed by the bookstore.

   That store was much smaller than I had imagined. I did wonder why stars would come here to do signings. I discovered that many have and would be. The lady in front of me got me a list of upcoming signings- Tony Bennett, who my Mom likes, was included on this.

   That lady was really nice. She was with her teenage daughter. They were from Maryland. She asked me where the Wawas were in this area. I told her that we only have Quick Checks and 7-11s in Northern Jersey. I said that I like Wawas too.

   The green sweater girl behind me was showing me some of her photos from recent DD concerts that she had been too. I was a little jealous that she had gotten so close to the stage.

   She or another girl asked the Maryland teen which star that she would be willing to wait in a long line for to meet. She said Leonardo DiCaprio.

    Maryland lady and I got to talking about how parents don’t discipline kids like they used to. I mentioned how my mother washed my mouth out with soap a few times after I cursed. She said that she had put hot sauce on her daughter’s tongue as punishment for that.

   She joked around that maybe John would do a private reading for us because there really wasn’t that big of a crowd yet. That was at around 2:00. The line did get longer as time went by. A few people had moved further back on it because they were feeling nervous about meeting John.

   John arrived about 20 minutes late. I think that it was because of traffic on Rt. 17. The crowd was cheering and screaming when his vehicle pulled into the parking lot. I said to Maryland woman “Calm down, he’s just a man, not a God”. She laughed about this.

   There are some devoted fans that do consider him a bass god though. I had read posts at the official fan site regarding this. I was only a member of that for two years- 2008 and 2009.

   I was still feeling nervous about meeting him again but I think that I did a better job of it this time. He had asked me if I started reading it yet. I said that it would take me a while because I am a slow reader. He said “That’s okay; take your time.”

   I did take photos of this event too; they were a little better than the NYC ones but still not that great. A nice girl, Lori, who I was talking to afterwards said that she would send me some of her shots. She had one of those really good cameras. I was so grateful to her.

   I actually got to be in JT’s presence a second time that night. Another girl, Lana, had just arrived at the store when I was at the register signing up to have the audio book mailed to me. She heard that my zip code was Linden and said that she originally came from that area. After I told her that I was taking the train home, she offered to drive me instead so I said yes.

   I waited on the line of about 60 people with her. The staff had been moving everyone through quickly the entire time. It felt like we were cattle that were being herded.

    I couldn’t remember if I had even thanked John for signing my book. I did so after he talked with Lana a bit. I did feel like a bit of a doofus for doing that then though.

   They were not doing personalizing of it like at B&N; that day our name was written on a sticky note to make the process go by quicker.

   I had been going to get my brother a cupcake from Crumbs after this event but there wasn’t an opportunity to do this now that I was getting a ride home. That was so kind of her. She also sent me some of her photos.

   I can’t believe that I was on that line for around 7 hours. I never ever thought that I would do something like this for any star. My brother would think that I am crazy if he knew about this.

   He would also flip out if he knew that I have not just two copies of this book but three; I didn’t want to mess up the signed ones so I got one to read. I really have been putting a lot of cash into the JT machine lately

   I was so excited when I saw doggies being walked in both locations- a Golden Retriever by a guy and 2 Soft Coated Wheaton terriers (I’m pretty sure that was their breed) by a girl in Ridgewood and an adorable cockapoo by someone in NYC. I pictured my brother teasing me by saying that I should just be excited about seeing John, not doggies. I like doggies a lot more than I do any celebrity.








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...