Saturday, September 5, 2020

Duran Duran- May 30, 2008- Central Park


I made a last minute decision to try to get a ticket to this concert. My brother and I were going to the one the next night but part of me wanted to see them both times. Also, rain was in the forecast for Saturday so I wanted to see them on a perfect day; the weather was lovely on Friday.

   I feel sort of guilty for lying to my mother. I told her that I was going to the mall then a late night movie. I didn’t want her or my brother finding out that I would be seeing DD twice in one week.

   I was a bit worried that there wouldn’t be any more tickets but there were. I got them at the box office. I arrived at Central Park by 5:00 and only had to wait about an hour before they let us in the venue, the Summerstage.

   I was lucky enough to get in about the third row, to the left. I was talking to a girl for a little while. She moved back to sit on a blanket. She had asked me to join her but I did not want to leave that excellent spot.

   I was kind of annoyed when she interrupted me during the show to ask my name and if I wanted her to get me a drink. It was nice of her to offer but I don’t want to miss a moment of seeing DD.

   I had eaten my dinner at a deli place on 57th Street. Their prices were kind of high; the orange juice cost $3.00.

   Another girl, Stacey, started talking to me. She asked me that question that I dread and am embarrassed to answer- who is my favorite DD guy. I didn’t really answer her. She said that hers is John and I smiled so she figured out that I like him too. She said that I should not be ashamed about this.

   The two girls in front of me were tall so I stood on my brother’s binocular case to get a better view. It got a bit ruined because of this. I probably should not have done that. My brother will surely be mad at me. 

   I hadn’t been sure that I would get that close to the stage which is why I had brought his binoculars with me. He had won these at Wildwood in the early 90s.

   Stacey asked me why I wasn’t singing along to “A View to a Kill”. When I told her that I don’t know the words she seemed baffled. I did sing along a bit during “Save a Prayer”.

   Simon asked everyone to hold up their cell phones during the latter. Stacey held up a lighter for a little while which made me nervous. I am afraid of fire. I jokingly said “Fire bad”.

   She jokingly offered me $20.00 to say hi and wave to John. No way could I ever do that. At one point, he was looking in our direction and smiling. I am embarrassed to admit that I smiled back. A small part of me wanted to believe that maybe he was just smiling at me but obviously that wasn’t the case.

   John had changed into an Obama t-shirt. I am pretty sure that he still had the armband on then. He threw his orange cap out into the audience. A girl near me caught this. If I had done so, I might have given it to Stacey.

   I did the reaching up thing during “Sunrise” as I had at Roseland. I like that song a lot. Part of me was feeling embarrassed about doing so both times, naturally.

   Simon did that intro bit during “Girls on Film” at the end. I think that he did so at the Roseland show too. I am so glad that I went to this concert; I had such a good time.

   Stacey bought a hoodie and I got the tour book at the souvenir stand. We agreed to share a cab back to Penn Station. We walked around a bit beforehand. Central Park is nice; I had only been there one other time before twelve years ago.

   She showed me The Plaza Hotel. We saw a puffy shirt in a store window. She said that Nick would probably like that. I laughed and agreed with her.

    She asked me what my favorite DD song is. I said “Rio” and “Save a Prayer”. She also wanted to know which one I don’t like. I told her “Wild Boys”. She said that she likes it.

   She asked me another question that I am ashamed about replying to- where do I work. I usually lie and say at a small bookstore but this time I said that I haven’t had a job in 4 years. It has actually been much longer than that.

   I mentioned that I have a lot of dreams with DD in them like a revenge demon one. She seemed to think that this was cool.

   I am fairly certain that Stacey said that she got to meet them once. I should have inquired about more details regarding this. I wish that I could meet them someday but I doubt that this will ever happen.

   That cab ride was only the second one that I have ever taken. The first was in 1985 with my family when we were going to the ABC studios to see Regis and Kathie Lee.

   Stacey said that she would be attending the next night’s concert. I said that I would be there with my brother. She said that maybe we can hang out again then. Part of me wanted to but a bigger part of me felt very anxious about that. Plus, if we did then my brother would find out that I had been to the Friday show too.

   I am mad at myself for forgetting to clean off my glasses before the show. They were dirtier than I even thought. I was semi-obsessing that my view would have been better if I had cleaned them.




                                                    

 

  

                 

 

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...