Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Baby Groundhog


In the spring of 2008 my brother found a baby groundhog in the middle of the road near our house. He rescued it before it could get hit and brought it into our house. We were going to release it into the woods by the county road behind our house. We took it over there only we saw it start to cross the road back towards our house. We decided to bring it back inside and keep it overnight until we could take it to the vet the next day. We forgot about the emergency vet place. We put water in a dish and put this in the box with it but it wouldn't drink any of it. We didn't even know that it was a groundhog then. I thought it was somebody's pet guinea pig with an unusual coloring that I'd never seen before. Our spaniel Buffy didn't even seem to know it was here.

I called our vet the next day but the vet tech said that they don't deal with animals like this, mainly just cats and dogs. I knew of another place in Clark so I called them and they said to bring it on over which we did. The girl didn't know that it was a groundhog either, she thought it was a hedgehog. Do we even have those in America? Luckily, she knew of a woman who runs a wildlife rehibilitation place so she got in touch with her. I asked her to call me to tell us how our groundhog was doing which she did and was glad to hear that it would be fine.

I have this feeling that something bad had happened to this baby groundhog's mother and maybe it was searching for her. I felt awful about this but am so glad that my brother rescued it before anything terrible might have happened to it. I was calling it Simon if it was a boy and Molly if it was a girl. I found this cute picture from Joni Johnson-Godsy on the internet.

5 comments:

Wandering Appalachian said...

What a story! It's good that you guys helped it. I've heard that the adults are actually quite aggressive.

LaraAnn said...

Thanks for reading and commenting. I think that I might have heard about that too. I forgot to mention that the vet tech said it was a boy. I wish that we had taken a picture of him.

Pam said...

Very sweet, Lara Ann - I'm glad you and your brother rescued the groundhog. I'm sure because of you he/she went on to live a lifetime of munching on unsuspecting farmers' gardens! BTW that photo is the cutest thing.

Chelly said...

Yay, so happy he was rescued. Well done! I love groundhogs and in fact was typecast as a groundhog in school plays - was cast twice as those cute little fellas.

LaraAnn said...

Pam- I was glad when I found that photo to go along with this post. Simon was lucky that my brother was taking a walk around town that day and that he noticed the poor critter in the road.

Chelly - I wish that I had a time machine and could see you in those plays. It must have been such fun and I'm sure you were a cute groundhog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...