Wednesday, August 12, 2020


February 21- More Childhood Memories- Part 1

My Name
I kind of didn’t like my name until I was in my late teens. I hardly ever used to correct people when they mispronounced it. I saw Sister D, our grade school principal, about 14 years ago and she still called me Laura. I pictured saying “My name is Lara, not Laura” but part of me was thinking it is many years too late to say that. I’m sure that a lot of people would disagree. I would have felt too anxious doing so though, especially to a nun. They sort of scare me which is rather ridiculous.




Family and Childhood Dreams
Aunt Agnes and Uncle Fred lived in the apartment near the carnival grounds. It was just up the street from ours back then. Mom, Mike, and I visited them occasionally.
   
   Aunt Agnes was the sister of either Mom’s father or mother. I should ask her or Mike which it is. She had such nice knick-knacks on the shelves in her living room. I didn’t want to get too close to them for fear that I might accidentally break one.
   
   I used to enjoy telling Uncle Fred about some of my dreams, like the ones that had characters from “Battle of The Planets” in it. My brother and I liked that cartoon a lot. He seemed really interested in hearing about this.    
                                              
                                                    

Black and White TV
My brother and I used to share the big bedroom in our old 2 room apartment when we were kids. We started doing so in the late 1970s. We had a little black and white TV in there. I remember that we watched the Channel 9 news sometimes on it. We switched over to Channel 7’s news by 1983.

                                                       

Bean Bag Chairs
In the 80s, we had a beanbag chair made out of jean material that I liked a lot. I am pretty sure that we had a red leather-type one too. I remember that the former was very inexpensive. Mom probably bought it at Bradlees. She worked at that department store for about 9 years.

                                                                        
                                                                  
Jeans
Mom would usually get me Chic and PS Gitano jeans from Bradlees, the department store where she worked. I was sort of jealous of my classmates who had the more expensive designer brands like Jordache, Sassoon, Gloria Vanderbilt, Calvin Klein, and Sergio Valente. I think that I had a pair of the latter, either as a clearance sale item or as hand-me-downs from a family friend.







Note- Photos from the internet- Jeans, Battle of the Planets


                  
       


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...