Saturday, August 15, 2020

February 21, 2017- More Childhood Memories- Part 2


Braces and Dad’s Train Set
Mike was talking about some childhood memories that I had remembered incorrectly. I had thought that Mom paid for our braces but he said that she told him that this expense was covered under Dad’s GM dental plan. Another one was about Dad’s train set- it didn’t have the steam coming out of the locomotive. Dad’s friend Junior had that kind and he was jealous of him because of this. It did make the train noises though.
Braces- 1980


1969

 
           
 Fireworks
I asked Mike the name of the fireworks mail order catalog that he got in the mid-80s. He said that it was Blue Angel. I thought so but I just wanted to know for sure. Mike got in trouble for having fireworks. One of our neighbors- it might’ve been Mrs. K- called the cops when he was setting them off. He bought these during our trip to Virginia in 1986 either in that state or Maryland. 
    
   Fireworks- even the sparklers- scare me. We had little tanks a couple of times. I remember Grandma Next-Door being frightened when one of those got close to her.



Internet photos

    
                        

 Long Walks
In the mid-1980s, Mom and I dropped our 1984 Buick Century off at the Westfield dealership/service center for repairs or an oil change. We walked all the way home, which had to have been about 5 miles. We stopped at Sal’s Deli for soda during this long trek. Sal used to work at the Butcher Block. I was surprised that he actually remembered me as one of its customers.
  
   I remember another long walk that I took around the same time period. My brother and I had missed the bus home from our high school in Scotch Plains. I guess that our parents weren’t home or we just decided to not even bother calling them. That was about a 5 mile journey as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...