Saturday, August 8, 2020


Childhood Food Memories-Part 3

-Girl Scouts- A couple of times we made Rice Krispies treats at camp. We also made S’mores. I’m pretty sure that when I first started selling their cookies that they were .75 cents per box. Our favorites were Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs, and Scot Teas.

-Cookies – Lorna Doones, Oreos, Nutter Butter, Vienna Fingers, Nila Wafers, Social Teas, Windmills (ginger type), animal crackers, Fig Newtons,; Pepperidge Farms Milanos and Chessmen.

-Candy –Gertrude Hawk brand, Mounds, Peppermint Patties, Reese’s, Snickers, Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, Nestle Crunch, Kit Kats, Raisinettes, Hershey’s, and Special Dark. Mrs. K is the one who got me to try dark chocolate from the Hershey’s Assorted Miniatures in the late 1970s and I’ve loved it ever since then.
  
   Mom and I did candy making, sometimes with Kathy and Helen who got us into this. We bought some really nice molds, especially for the holidays.

-Snack Cakes- Devil Dogs, Funny Bones, Yodels, Twinkies, Cupcakes, Scooter Pies, Suzy Q’s (Mom’s nickname for me), and  Tastykakes- Peanut Butter KandyKakes, lemon pie, and Krimpets (Butterscotch and Jelly)
   
   Our neighbor Mrs. M’s daughter worked at Drakes and gave us a lot of their snack cakes once. We put some of them in the freezer.

-Barbeque Parties- My favorite memory is the time that Mrs. K bought over lots of ears of corn to our house in the early 1980s. It was so sweet and delicious. I think that I had 3 ears of this.
  
   Mom’s coworker/friend, Jan S, made some delicious chocolate cupcakes with a butter cream filling for one of our mid-80’s get-togethers. We asked for the recipe but she said it was a secret. My brother and I hid some so we’d have extra for ourselves.
  
   At our neighbor Mrs. S’s party, we had a delicious fruit salad- cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, and watermelon. There might have been strawberries in it too. This was in a bowl made from the rind of the watermelon.    


































Note- All photos are from the internet












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...