Monday, July 27, 2020


Regis and Kathie Lee – 1980s

The first time that we went to this show Ann Abernathy was the co-host. It was called The “Morning Show “and was 90 minutes long then.  Regis was not there that day though; Ira Joe Fisher was filling in for him. There was a cooking segment, some sort of chocolate dessert. I really hadn’t remembered who the guests were; Mike told me that Gary Coleman was one of them. Dad was with the 3 of us as he was for the next time that we went.

   I don’t even remember any of the guests from the 2nd time, one might have been a girl from the US Olympic luge team or perhaps that was the first. Mike might know for sure so maybe I’ll ask him sometime soon.

   We stood outside the “All My Children” studios which were across the street for a little while afterwards. We saw some of its stars – the 2 who played Myra and Sloane, Julia Barr, Michael E. Knight who I had a little crush on and Peter Bergman who jogged right past us. Mike saw the actor who played Travis getting into his limo and actually went up to him and got his autograph.

   We both got Regis and Kathie Lee’s autographs. Dad talked me into doing so and he also took a picture of Regis and I together which was embarrassing. We did get Ira Joe’s and Ann’s autographs previously too.

   The third time Kathy and Helen came with the 3 of us. Mike told me that Dom DeLouise was the guest and that Kathy had said that she wished that it had been his son Peter that was there instead. She was a 21 Jump Street fan and might’ve had a crush on him.

   I have this vivid memory of the producer Gelman making us move over 1 seat. Before that I had been in the one that had the number of the winner of the contest prize winner on it. I was pretty mad about this. I think that the prize was dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant.

   We walked all the way back to Penn Station – that’s like 32 blocks. It was kind of cold out that day. I’m pretty sure that I had set up the videotape for this show. I never did watch it though; I wonder if we still have it and if we are shown when the camera was on the audience.

   My brother did not want to take the day off from school so the fourth time just mom and I went. We found out while waiting on the line that Phil Collins was going to be a guest. I hadn’t read the TV Guide or watched the show the day before to find out who would be there

 A couple of girls had driven all the way from Ohio just to see him and they didn’t even have tickets. They were asking people if they had any extras; we gave them our 2 which they were extremely grateful about.

   Mom had no idea who Phil Collins was. He didn’t even perform a song; all he did was a bit of the drum part from “In The Air Tonight”. Mom did take pictures of him and the other guests. I think that one of them was a sports commentator – Curt Gowdy?  Two celebrity impersonators were there – Elvis and Marilyn Monroe.

   Mom was in the hospital so she couldn’t go the next time with Mike and I. Petula Clark was the guest. The audience had to sing part of her hit,” Downtown”. There would have been a 6th time too but Mom was in the hospital yet again and Mike didn’t want to take the day off from school. I was too afraid to go into the city alone. I wish that I hadn’t been; mom’s favourite girl singer, Rosemary Clooney, was the guest. It’s a shame that she had to miss out on her.

   One day when Mike and I were talking about our experiences regarding this show he mentioned that the actor who played Freddie Kruger in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies was taping a segment either before or afterwards which I hadn’t remembered until we were talking about this.  We always did have such a good time and kind of wish that we had gotten tickets to see it more.

Regis and Me-1986

Kathie Lee 1988





Phil Collins

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...