Sunday, November 24, 2019

Music Memories- Part 1


June 14- Music Memories

-Mom’s Christmas albums- Nat King Cole, Elvis, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Mario Lanza, Kate Smith, and Doris Day. She bought us the Chipmunks but that got old by 1979. Dad had Johnny Cash, which we took from him. I think that he went to one of his concerts- maybe in the late 60s or early 70s.

-Mom went to a Bobby Darin concert. She has the souvenir book. I wonder if she had a crush on him. I think that she had one on Roy Rogers. She has a lot of scrapbook stuff about him, mostly from the 1990s to present. I’m pretty sure that she told us that she actually met him.

-I still have my music/jewelry box that plays Lara’s Theme,” Somewhere My Love”. This was in one of my parent’s favorite movies, Doctor Zhivago. They used it as their wedding song.

-We had a big TV/Stereo cabinet with sliding doors, a space for records on the side, and the record player on top back in the 1970s. Ed had to replace the picture tube a lot on that TV. We kept this in the basement until the late 1980s after getting our new Panasonic TV in 1981 or 1982.

-I was listening to Dad’s little light blue radio in the dark in the cellar. I’m not sure why I didn’t turn on the lights.” The Devil Went Down to Georgia” was on and this was kind of scaring me. I think that I was about 10 years old.

-I remember Mom and Dad being upset the day that they heard about Elvis’ death on the radio.

-America’s Top 40 hosted by Casey Kasem. I think that this was on WPLJ. I’m pretty sure that there was a segment during it called Long Distance Dedication.

- My friend Kelly’s mom loved the music of Barry Manilow.

-I remember listening to The Monkees Greatest Hits album with my cousin Missy at her house in the early 80’s. We played my Lionel Richie Can’t Slow Down tape in Allison’s (her brother’s girlfriend) car when she took us to see Star Trek 3 at the Quakerbridge Mall theater.

-Billy Idol’s” Eyes Without a Face” was playing during the Matterhorn ride that Missy and I were on in Great Adventure.

-My first cassette was a dubbed one of An Evening with John Denver that Aunt Ann gave me.

-My cousin Janice gave me some of her old clothes a few times. Once there was a sleeveless yellow top with a hood that had YES on the front of it but I didn’t know at the time that this is the name of a music group.

-I have a vague memory of watching some variety shows with our parents –“ The Mandrell Sisters”,” Hee-Haw”,” Donny and Marie” and” Sonny and Cher”.

-Should I be embarrassed to admit that we watched “Solid Gold” and “Dance Fever”? Cindy had a crush on the host of the latter.

-I’ve only ever stolen stuff twice in my life. Once it was a pack of gum at Shop Rite. Mom saw this and made me return it. The other time it was 2 pins, Journey and Def Leppard, from U.S. 1 Indoor Flea Market. I wasn’t even overly into them and just liked a few songs by each in the early 80s. I started liking them both more later on in that decade.
                                     
 
 
 
 
 

 


 
                                     
              
                                              

 

 

These 2 photos are from the internet


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...