Sunday, November 17, 2019

Dreamland


February 25, 2012- Cute Doggie

We were living in our old apartment. Grandma next door was visiting us. In this reality, she got along well with Mom. It was the early 90s. Grandma never had a stroke and my parents were still together. Dad was working at GM- he never took the buyout like in the real world. He’d be able to retire in a couple of years. He wasn’t a control freak here either.

   We had our Buffy spaniel. She was healthy and a few years old. I was surprised and a little disappointed that Ginger wasn’t a part of this; she’s hardly in these holodeck programs.

   Grandma’s friend Ellie gave her an adorable beagle puppy. I was playing with him in the living room. She had just gotten him the day before. Grandma hadn’t given him a name yet. She said that she was going to give him to us and that we could choose the name. She was the one who had given Ginger her name.

   This doggie seemed to like me a lot. I was having trouble coming up with a name for him though. Mike was trying to help me. He suggested the name Eli- as in Manning of the Giants. I laughed and said “What about Peyton?”  I forget what team his brother plays for- Colts?

   The time line was strange here- even though it was the early 90s stuff from the present day was part of the program.

   Other names mentioned-Skippy, Scooter, Buddy, Rex and Simon (as in Le Bon of Duran Duran).Mike tried singing “The Reflex” then. None of them were sounding right for this puppy.

   Buffy was a little jealous of him at first but then they were playing together. Buffy had her tennis ball and the beagle was trying to get it away from her. As I watched them, I was smiling on the inside.

   That’s when I was thinking about Snoopy of the Peanuts cartoon. Why hadn’t I thought to name him after this famous beagle much sooner? Mike agreed on this name and also said that he should have thought of this too.

   Grandma was talking to Mom about having us over for dinner the next evening- she’d be making stuffed cabbage. Yummy! Mike asked if she’d make potato pancakes too. He loves her recipe for this and wishes that he had it.

  Dad got home from work about 40 minutes later. He treated Buffy and Snoopy nicely. I found out that Ginger had lived a few years longer in this reality. She had died of a weak heart which is also sad but not as terrible as Dad never paying to find out what was causing her sickness and just having her put to sleep in reality.

    My brother and I listened to an afternoon Yankees game on the radio. He wasn’t even teasing me about Mattingly which was good. And he wasn’t throwing a fit when they lost like the real Mike would do.

   The next morning, we took our doggies for a walk around town. It was a lovely June day. I did wonder why neither of us was working or going to school but nobody seemed to think that this was strange. Maybe we were both on vacation. These details weren’t really a part of the program though.

     Mike and I were in our late teens, which also were off in the time line by like 2-3 years. We should have been in our early 20s. This storyline was interesting and I was glad that I got to be with the ideal version of my family.

    I went outside after grandma’s delicious dinner; I was only in her yard for about 35 seconds when the scenery suddenly started changing. I was standing on the deck in our yard in our current apartment back on Earth where I had been before I had been transported to the holodeck.

 

                 
 
 
                                   
                                                                            Buffy
                                   
                                                                           Ginger  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...