Thursday, November 21, 2019


March 22, 2017- Aging

I looked at my movie ticket from Monday and got upset when I saw that we had been charged the senior citizen price. It is so depressing that the girl, who looked to be in her late teens or early 20s, thought that we looked that old. My brother was upset too.

   When we were her age, we didn’t think that people in their 40s and 50s looked like seniors; they were the age of our parents. I know that I shouldn’t dwell on this incident, but it is hard not to let it get to me.

   I didn’t think that I looked that bad for my age of 47. There is no way that I look even near 60. That girl must need her eyes checked. The senior ticket is still for those of the age of 62 and above, right? Mike said that this is the age for early retirement. I know that 65 is the official government age for social security payments.

   I really hate that the age for the AARP enrollment is now 50. Not that long ago it was 55. I am pretty sure that it must have been 60 at one point, like way back when we were teens. Maybe I am wrong about that. Did Mike tell me that Tony, who is 55, now qualifies for a senior discount on coffee?

   Why did they keep lowering the age for this anyhow? I can kind of see 55 being alright, but definitely not 50. Mom is enrolled in this and we get the AARP magazine. I read it more than she does.

   I had an issue of this with me at the Lady Antebellum concert. I have this bad feeling that the people that I was hanging out with beforehand thought that I must be 50+ when they saw me with it.

   Mike told me that Dad told him last year that I look younger than my age, like 39 or 40. That was nice to hear. Maybe now that I have a few more strands of gray in my hair, Dad might not think that way anymore. I can’t afford hair dye. It is either the anti-aging moisturizers or this; I choose the latter.

   I saw an article on line about which celebrities have aged well. To me, this sounds like they are saying that if you haven’t, then you are not attractive looking anymore. The media can be so cruel. I am getting really sick of all the commercials and ads that promote anti- aging procedures and products. Many of these are super expensive and for the well-to-do.

   I can barely afford my Oil of Olay products. I am sure that one day I won’t even be able to keep these in my budget. Grandma Next Door used to use their moisturizer and had nice skin even when she was older which is why I stuck with this brand for the past few years. I have tried so many different ones throughout the years.

   God must be so displeased with me for sometimes thinking that old people are kind of scary and creepy looking. I don’t remember when I started having such awful thoughts.

   My brother’s negative comments about people’s appearance has increased over the past few years. Maybe this has had a bad effect my viewpoint. I always feel terrible about all the unkind thoughts that I have. I constantly worry that God will not forgive me for this.

 

3 comments:

themeganb32@gmail.com said...

Hello, again sorry for being such a pest, im sure you are a very pretty person, from the pics of that you posted you seem so and that you work hard to take care of yourself, i try to go with the idea that age is a number and its more important with how you feel and act or one can be young and have issues like i messed up my knees in high school playing field hockey and today woke up at 4am screaming in pain and could hardly walk today worried about having to have knee replacement at an early age. would love to talk to you more off line especailly about your dream adventures here is my emal

themeganb@yahoo.com or themeganb32@gmail.com

hugs

Meg

LaraAnn said...

No, you aren't being a pest. I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from those bad knee pains. I hope that this will improve for you somehow soon. Some days, I am able to go with the age is just a number thought like you then the whole media and certain aspects of society that send the opposite messages creep in. Thanks for the nice words about my appearance; that helped to cheer me up. I would have responded earlier but the past few days have been kind of busy. Thanks for giving me your address- it would be nice to chat with you that way too.

Hope that you have been having a good weekend.
Take care
Lara

themeganb32@gmail.com said...

Hi how goes? Hope you have been busy in a good way and not in a hectic or overwhelming way. Did not have the greatest of weekends, had a couple of meltdowns which i would like to get off my chest via email i think you may one of the few that would understand. Some days are better than others. As always thank you for your hard work on your blog since im sure a lot of it is very soul bearing showing to the world a very private part of you.

So this is crazy but here's my email so write me maybe :P

Meg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...