Friday, September 20, 2019


Books

I still remember the names of two books that we read in first grade- Helicopters and Gingerbread and A Duck is a Duck.

   I loved the Scholastic Book Club in grade school. I still have a few of these books – On Top of the Pizzas, Stories from a Snowy Meadow and Mystery in the Night Woods. I remember a couple of others – The Ghosts on Saturday Night and one about a Giant.

   I also kept the The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and Charlotte’s Web. I enjoyed the cartoon special of both books. I have the videotape of the latter. I wish that I could find the former on either VHS or DVD.

   I read a lot when I was a kid. The Little House on The Prairie books were my favorites. I still have these. I never really got into Nancy Drew; I preferred Trixie Belden. I don’t remember who wrote those.

   Grandma at the farm bought me Bobbsey Twins books for my birthday and Christmas for 4 or 5 years. I must have had about 25 of them. Sometimes I wish that I had kept these too.

   I am mad at myself for selling them for next to nothing- $5.00 (including the tote that they were in). The guy who bought them was a vendor who obviously sold them for a big profit. I would have been better off donating them to a library.

   Aunt Ann gave Mike and me stickers with our names and “This Book Belongs To” on them. I might still have some of mine. I have most of the bookmarks that I got in the 70s and 80s.

   My parents bought a Colliers Encyclopedia set in 1975. Mike and used them for our schoolwork sometimes. Annually up until 1989, we would receive a yearbook. We found a 1990 one at a flea market. We got rid of the encyclopedias in the early 1990s but kept these. Mike wants to throw them away but I won’t let him.

  

 

















               




                              These 5 photos are from the internet- photo search- I wish that I actually
                                       had the books!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...