Saturday, October 12, 2019


October 30, 2015- Halloween/Earliest Memories

 I don’t really like Halloween that much anymore but I do have some good memories of this holiday. The best one was in 1976 when I was an angel, my costume of choice 3 times, and he was a fireman with the” Emergency!”  helmet and megaphone thing. That was our favorite show then.

   I can’t believe that he remembered that I had a little crush on Gage. Wait, yes I can- his memory is perfect when it comes to my crushes, unfortunately. Yikes, I’m so ashamed about this. He had mentioned that fact a few weeks ago after he watched an episode of it.

   I did watch one with him about 6 weeks ago but it just doesn’t interest me anymore which is how I feel about a lot of the shows that I liked when I was a kid, esp. many of the comedies which seem so lame to me now.

   I’m thinking about one that used to scare us a little – “In Search of”, hosted by Leonard Nimoy- esp. the episodes with Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster and UFOs. I ‘m sure if we watched this now we’d think it was so cheesy. “Day of Disaster” was another- the Hindenburg and a bridge that was shaking a lot because of high winds in the northwest somewhere were on this. Joel Siegel was the host.

    I am pretty sure that my brother won the second place ribbon for his cowboy costume in a town contest.  Mine was lame; I was in pajamas, a robe and had curlers in my hair. The last time that we went trick or treating was 1982- I was a gypsy/fortune teller.

    We had some great decorations and still have a few of them, like the haunted house which is actually a greeting card. I like the ceramic one of these and Dracula stuffed bear that we got in the late 80s.

   I have a hazy memory of a couple of Girl Scout parties- at one we were bobbing for apples and the other was at camp and I had a ghost costume which didn’t seem very original compared my troop mates.

  Mom and Dad carved a pumpkin only once; it was too messy and not worth the time and effort to do so again. We would just draw faces on them with markers. I always worried that someone would smash the ones that we’d put on the porch.

  I remember the spooky house with the coffin that Dracula came out of one year when we went trick-or-treating. That really scared Mike and me.

   I did a Halloween post at Blogger last year and used a few pictures from the 1970s. I was Raggedy Ann and Mike was a devil, but I really don’t remember this. I think that I was 4 years old.  I don’t know if people can actually remember much of anything from before this age. Mike agrees with me.

   My two earliest memories are traumatic ones, naturally. Dad accidentally burned me with his cigarette when he was carrying me through the cemetery, probably in 1973 or 1974. Mike and I saw our parent’s Chevy Malibu being totaled out in front of Aunt Rachel’s house in 1975.

   A lady was trying to avoid a drunken guy crossing the road and she slammed her car into ours which also got pushed into a telephone pole. We had been having such a good time in our aunt’s yard before this. I was crying.  I have the newspaper article about this in my scrapbook.
 
                                                                           1974
                                                                       
                                                                            1975
 
                                                                             1976
 





 
                                                                    Our Wrecked Car

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...