Thursday, March 18, 2021

September 12, 2017- Paul McCartney Concert

 

 My brother and I had a great time at the McCartney concert. Sir Paul put on an excellent show. He has a lot of energy for someone in his mid-70s. He is only 3 years younger than our parents. It was the longest one that I have ever been to- 2 hours and 45 minutes. We definitely got our money’s worth. It started at about 8:40, 20-25 minutes later than I thought that it would.

   He told some interesting Beatles stories before or after some of those songs, like “Something”. During part of that, he used the ukulele that George Harrison had given him. After “Back in the USSR “, I am pretty sure that he mentioned that they were the first rock concert ever in Moscow’s Red Square.

   There were also tales for “Blackbird”, “Love Me Do”, and” I Wanna Be Your Man”; they gave the latter song to the Rolling Stones to record. I am pretty sure that he said that this was the first number one hit in the UK for them.

   I was so happy when he did “Eleanor Rigby” which is one of my favorite Beatles songs. We would have been so disappointed if he didn’t do “Live and Let Die”. There were some loud pyrotechnics during that.  I only knew this and “Band on The Run” out of the 6 Wings songs. I did used to have the albums but my memories of them are hazy.

   McCartney was reading out some of the people’s signs. One guy had seen him either 100 or 110 times. After the concert, I overhead a lady saying that she has seen him 12 times. I wish that I had been to some of his shows in the past. It seems kind of surreal that I was even at this one.

  It was funny hearing a couple of ladies saying something like “He’s so cute” when McCartney was hamming it up a bit.

   I was surprised that my brother said that seeing him was on his bucket list. He sometimes tells me that the Beatles are so over-rated. Yet he has a greatest hits CD of theirs. He wishes that he had gone to see The Rolling Stones the last time they were on tour.

   Once again, regrets about getting rid of my Beatles/McCartney/Wings albums and tapes were on my mind. I took them to the book and record exchange place in Cranford. I didn’t even get that much credit for these and later saw high prices on them. I should have at least kept 1962-1966 and 1967-1970

   I feel bad that I exchanged my Dad’s 2 45’s at a record show too. I also threw out all the dubbed tapes that a boyfriend made for me in the late 90s. I can’t afford to get the CDs of these. I need to save money for other things now.

  I was doing some people watching; those of all ages were there, including some young kids. I couldn’t help feeling like an outsider even amongst other fans as I do at other concerts and events that I attend.  

   We talked to a nice couple at the Linden train station. Naturally, I was feeling anxious. They were going to the Yankees game. They live on a street in that town that is nearby our old apartment.

   I wrote down the set list this afternoon. There were either 36 or 38 songs on it. 5 were new ones that I wasn’t familiar with. McCartney was joking around about the fact that it was like a black hole out there during these unlike during the Beatles songs when the cell phone cameras all lit up brightly, or something similar.

   “Hey Jude” is playing in my head now. This was never really one of my favs. I like it a little up until the annoying part that seems to drag on at the end. Mike feels the same way. I was somewhat getting into it during the show though. I didn’t ask Mike what he thought about that. He probably would say that he wish that he had done “Get Back” instead; he had been trying to sing this earlier in the day.

   I am slightly ashamed that I was singing along during “Yesterday”. I probably would have been more so if my brother were sitting next to me. He hadn’t intended on going but then changed his mind a couple of minutes after I ordered my ticket. He was 3 rows above me, up at the very top of this venue.

   He still teases me about singing along to a couple of Duran Duran songs at the Garden in 2011. He did so about my dancing too. I know that I shouldn’t let this get to me but it is difficult not to.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...